Search This Blog

Thursday, July 01, 2004

Why I (Probably) Won't See Farenheit 9/11

There are two reasons I won't go see Farenheit 9/11. First, I simply don't have time and energy. Since Cassia's birth, I virtually never get to see adult movies in the theatres (I think I've only seen maybe two in eight years). I do get to see movies, but they're all kid movies. For example, in the last month I've seen Shrek II and Harry Potter 3, and that's with kids in tow, of course.

Even when it's available as a DVD at Blockbuster, I probably won't watch it. Regarding Farenheit 9/11, Michael Isikoff and Mark Hosenball of Newsweek write:
But for all the reasonable points he makes, on more than a few occasions in the movie Moore twists and bends the available facts and makes glaring omissions in ways that end up clouding the serious political debate he wants to provoke.
They go on to list some of those bent facts and glaring omissions.

I read "Stupid White Men" by Moore and feel the above quote aptly describes that book as well. I gave him a few hundred pages and a few hours of my time to establish credibility with me, and he failed miserably. Since he has extremely limited credibility in my eyes, it would be rather pointless for me to watch a documentary by him.

After all, it's easy to make someone look bad by making stuff up.

No comments: